Getting tested for HIV can be anxiety inducing. To take control over your sexual health and, yes, have better sex – it is important to get tested regularly for HIV and STI’s.
I think I was exposed to HIV – What should I do?
- If you think you were exposed to HIV through unprotected sex or sharing needles, AND it was within 72 hours, please seek out an Emergency Room to get PEP. PEP is a post-exposure treatment that has a high rate of preventing HIV infection, but only works if you start taking it within 72 hours of exposure.
- If the exposure was longer than 72 hours ago, it is important to get tested for HIV and other STI’s – and you need to return to get tested during the window period (described below).
What happens when I get tested?
- There are different kinds of tests – the most common are the oral swab and finger prick tests.
- The tester will have a conversation with you about informed consent, your sexual history, and how the test works. They are there to help you, so feel free to ask questions!
What is the window period?
- The most common HIV tests look for antibodies in the blood – but these might not be present or detectable for up to 6 months. The window period is the time between a possible exposure and when HIV will most likely be detectable in the blood.
Where do I go?
- Community Access Services
- MOCHA Center – (716) 852-1142
- 1092 Main St Buffalo, NY 14209
- Monday through Thursday 12pm-7pm
- Friday 9am-4pm
- HIV Testing Only / Appointments and Walk-in
- Evergreen Health Services
- Buffalo Hours:
- Monday – Friday: 8:30am – 3:30pm
- Tuesdays (extended hours): 8:30am – 6:00pm
- Phone: (716) 541-0681
- STI testing, Rapid HIV, Rapid Hep C / Walk-in only
- Pride Center Hours – (716) 852-7743
- Mon/Wed/Fri: 9:30am – 11:30am and 1:30 – 4:00pm
- Tuesdays: 12:30 – 7:00pm Thursdays: 12:30 – 4:00pm
- HIV Testing Only / Walk-in only
- Community Access Services – (716) 852-5969
- Monday – Friday: 9:00am – 11:00am, 1:00pm – 3:30pm
- Tuesdays (extended hours): 9:00am – 2:30pm, 4:00pm – 6:00pm
- HIV and Hepatitis C Testing Only / Walk-in only
- Jamestown Hours – (716) 541-0678
- Monday – Friday: 10:00am – 3:30pm
- HIV and Hepatitis C Testing Only / Appointment needed
- Buffalo Hours:
- Erie County Department of Health – (716) 858-7687
- 95 Franklin Street Buffalo, New York 14202
- Planned Parenthood of Central and Western New York – (866) 600-6886
- Visit their website to find the clinic nearest to you or call their call center to make an appointment
- HIV Testing, STI Testing, Health Center / Appointment needed
- Erie County Medical Center – (716) 898-4419
- Community Health Center – (716) 986-9199
- Buffalo – 34 Benwood Avenue Buffalo NY 14214
- Cheektowaga – 934 Cleveland Drive Cheektowaga NY 14225
- Lockport – 38 Heritage Court Lockport NY 14094
- Niagara Falls – 2715 Highland Avenue Niagara Falls NY 14305
- Kaleida Youth Link Program – (716) 852-1578 ext.230